Women's tennis wins 8-1 at Occidental College
GLENDALE, Calif. -- The No. 28 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team fought high winds to score an 8-1 victory over Occidental College on Wednesday at Scholl Canyon, sweeping doubles play before taking five out of six singles matches.
The Bobcats jumped out to a 3-0 lead with two quick doubles wins and a well-contested No. 1 doubles match, where sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) and senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) combined on a 9-7 victory over Ama Oparison and Keilani Ericksen. At second doubles, senior captain Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and junior Lucy Brennan (Wellesley, Mass.) teamed up for an 8-3 win, while senior Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) scored an 8-2 win at third doubles.
The host Tigers (1-2) got their lone point in a tiebreaker at No. 3 singles, but the Bobcats won all five other singles matches in straight sets, with Mandzhukova winning at No. 1, followed by Holmes at No. 2, Brunk at No. 4, Russell at No. 5 and sophomore Audrey Grauer (Encinitas, Calif.) at No. 6.
Bates plays at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Saturday at 2pm PST to wrap up its spring season-opening trip to California.
#28 Bates 8, Occidental College 1
Feb 20, 2013 at Glendale, CA (Scholl Canyon)
1. Elle Mandzhukova/Ashley Brunk (BAT) def. Ama Oparison/Keilani Ericksen (OXYW) 9-7
2. Jacqui Holmes/Lucy Brennan (BAT) def. Catherine Anderson/Amber Gadsden (OXYW) 8-3
3. Kristen Doerer/Nicole Russell (BAT) def. Sara Charney/Lucy Malloch (OXYW) 8-2
1. Elle Mandzhukova (BAT) def. Ama Oparison (OXYW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Jacqui Holmes (BAT) def. Keilani Ericksen (OXYW) 6-4, 6-4
3. Sara Charney (OXYW) def. Lucy Brennan (BAT) 2-6, 6-3, 12-10
4. Ashley Brunk (BAT) def. Catherine Anderson (OXYW) 6-2, 6-0
5. Nicole Russell (BAT) def. Amber Gadsden (OXYW) 6-1, 6-3
6. Audrey Grauer (BAT) def. Emily Repsher (OXYW) 6-1, 6-0