CLINTON, N.Y. -- The No. 28 nationally ranked Bates women's tennis team won for the third time in four matches on Sunday with an 8-1 defeat of Hamilton College.
The win pulled the Bobcats' (7-8 overall, 3-3 NESCAC) conference record to an even .500. Hamilton dropped to 8-9 overall and stayed winless in NESCAC play at 0-6.
Bates won convincingly despite playing the day before at Connecticut College, starting off by sweeping doubles play indoors on Sunday morning. Sophomore Elena Mandzhukova (Lisbon, Portugal) and senior Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) posted a 9-7 won at No. 1 doubles over Liz Detwiler and Meg Lee. At No. 2, senior Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) and junior Kristen Doerer (Madison, Conn.) routed Alex Arenson and Aislin Shea 8-2, and at No. 3, senior captain Jacqui Holmes (Harvard, Mass.) and senior Jenna Burke (Burlington, Mass.) rang up an 8-5 win over Carrie Uhlein and Melissa Mann.
The teams moved outdoors for singles play, with similar results. Hamilton earned its lone point at No. 1 singles, where Bella Schoning, who didn't compete in doubles play, edged Mandzhukova in a third-set supertiebreaker. Holmes held her No. 2 singles opponent, Uhlein, without a single game won, and Bates won in straight sets the rest of the way, with Brunk at No. 3, Russell at No. 4, sophomore Audrey Grauer (Encinitas, Calif.) at No. 5 and Doerer at No. 6.
Bates returns home for three straight home matches, beginning Thursday at 4pm against Bowdoin.
Bates 8, Hamilton 1
1. Bella Schoning (H) d. Elena Mandzhukova 4-6, 7-5, (11-9).
2. Jacquelyn Holmes (B) d. Carrie Uhlein 6-0, 6-0.
3. Ashley Brunk (B) d. Sara Shaughnessy 6-2, 6-4.
4. Nicole Russell (B) d. Rachel Friedman 7-6, 6-0.
5. Audrey Grauer (B) d. Aislinn Shea 6-2, 6-3.
6. Kristen Doerer (B) d. Melissa Mann 6-0, 6-2.
1. Mandzhukova/Brunk (B) d. Liz Detwiler/Meg Lee 9-7.
2. Russell/Doerer (B) d. Alex Arenson/Shea 8-2.
3. Holmes/Jenna Burke (B) d. Uhlein/Mann 8-5.