Women's track team second in tri-meet with Colby, USM
LEWISTON, Maine -- An amazing effort by the Bates College ground crew and volunteer officials allowed Bates to host an outdoor track meet Saturday, with Colby and the University of Southern Maine competing with Bates on the women's side. Colby edged Bates in team scoring, 69.5 to 63.5, with Southern Maine not far behind with 55 points.
Highlighting the event for Bates were eight event winners:
- Senior Kathryn Moore (Pelham, N.H.) took first place in the 1,500 meters at 4:47.01, a time that qualifies her to compete in the NESCAC, New England Division III and ECAC championships later this season.
- Sophomore Izzy Alexander (Harvard, Mass.) won both the 100-meter hurdles in 16.84 seconds and the 400 hurdles in 1:05.25, qualifying for NESCACs and New Englands in the former and through the all-division Open New Englands in the latter event.
- First-year Katie Bash (Wallingford, Pa.) won the 800 meters in 2:23.58, qualifying for NESCACs.
- Sophomore Jen Marino (Methuen, Mass.) won the 400 meters in 1:05.31, qualifying for NESCACs.
- Senior Brooke Miller (Anacortes, Wash.) won the discus throw at 112 feet and 6 inches, qualifying for NESCACs and New Englands.
- The 4x400 relay team of sophomore Tara Higgins (Jeffersonville, Vt.), Bash, junior Amy Rosania (Rye Beach, N.H.) and Alexander took first in 4:14.26.
Other top performances were turned in by first-year Vantiel Elizabeth Duncan (Topsham, Maine), who qualified for NESCACs and New Englands in the shot put with a second-place 37-4.5, and senior Laura Golitko (Hopkinton, Mass.), whose second-place pole vault of 10-0.5 qualifed her for NESCACs and New Englands.