Duncan, Piers, Godek lead women's track and field at MIT
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- The Bates College women's track and field team turned in another successful early-season outdoor meet on Saturday in a tri-meet with Colby at MIT. Bates ranked second in the team scoring with 129 points, behind MIT (167) and ahead of Colby (109).
Among Bates' highlights, senior Vantiel Elizabeth Duncan (Topsham, Maine) took first place in the shot put (43-5.25) and the hammer throw (169-9), and was second in the discus (124-11).
Sophomore Taylor Piers (Falmouth, Maine) also won two events, taking first place in both the long jump (16-8.00) and the triple jump (34-9.25).
Other top winning or top-three performances included:
- Junior Sara Ellen Godek (Gilford, N.H.) won the javelin throw at 105-01, and also finished second in the shot put (38-2) and the hammer throw (149-2).
- Senior Katie Bash (Wallingford, Pa.) was second in the 5,000 meters (18:33.62).
- Senior Lisa Hartung (Farmington, Maine) was second in the 800 (2:22.50).
- Sophomore Tina Tobin (Lowell, Mass.) was second in the 100-meter hurdles (16.51) and in the 400 hurdles (1:07.85).
- Junior Dana Lindauer (Needham, Mass.) was third in the 400 (59.24).
- Sophomore Lizzie Carleton (Westborough, Mass.) was third in the 100 (12.97).
- Senior Laura Smith (Boulder, Colo.) was third in the hammer (141-01).
Bates competes next at the Aloha Relays, April 16-17 at Bowdoin.