TROY, N.Y. -- A pair of top-six performances fueled the Bates women's track and field team Friday, on the final day of the ECAC Division III Outdoor Championships. Bates scored 12 team points, tying with Rochester Institute of Technology for 25th place among 55 scoring teams.
Senior Tina Tobin (Lowell, Mass.) scored four of Bates' points Friday by placing fifth out of 18 competitors in the 400-meter hurdles, in 1:03.08.
Other All-ECAC (top eight) performances and other highlights included:
- Junior Bud Arens (Weymouth, Mass.) ran the 1,500 meters in 4:39.75, good for sixth place out of 16 runners.
- Thursday's highlight for Bates was junior Lindsay Cullen (Newburyport, Mass.) finishing fifth in the 10,000 meters, with a career-best time of 37:30.69 that moves her into second place on Bates' all-time performance list in the event. Cullen also assumed second place all-time at Bates in the 5,000 meters last weekend at Open New Englands.
- Also on Thursday, senior Juliana Kirkland (Greene, Maine) finished eighth in the hammer throw, to earn All-ECAC honors and score a team point for Bates, with a career-best mark of 46.95 meters, lifting her into fifth place on Bates' all-time performance list.
- First-year Sarah Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) placed ninth in the 400-meter dash, in 58.47 seconds.
- Bates finished 11th in the 4x800 relay, with junior Lisa Reedich (Harvard, Mass.), Cullen, sophomore Mira Carey-Hatch (Laconia, N.H.) and sophomore Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) finishing in 9:42.12.
- Senior Jenny Monsulick (Readfield, Maine) notched a career-best time of 39:17.63 in the 10,000, good for 12th place out of 30 competitors, and Carey-Hatch was 16th in 39:35.35.
- Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) finished 17th out of 25 competitors in the 3,000 steeplechase on Thursday, in 11:46.78.
- Sophomore Angeleque Hartt (Bronx, N.Y.) was 18th out of 28 in the 100-meter dash (12.86) on Thursday.
- Senior Taylor Piers (Falmouth, Maine) placed 15th in the long jump, at 4.98 meters.
- Bates came in 17th in the 4x400 relay on Thursday, with senior Lizzy Carleton (Westborough, Mass.), Fusco, first-year Quincy Snellings (Lexington, Mass.) and junior Ansley Flanagan (Roxbury, Conn.) timing in at 4:02.31.
Bates hopes to have representation at next week's Division III Outdoor Championships, and will learn Sunday whether the season will extend to one more meet.