ORONO, Maine -- The Bates women's track and field team opened the outdoor season with a strong effort in a tri-meet with Division I opponents Maine and New Hampshire on Saturday at the University of Maine.
Without the services of several of the team's standouts due to illness and injury, Bates scored 97.5 points, behind meet winner New Hampshire (152.5) and runner-up Maine (137).
Top-three event performances for the Bobcats included:
- First-year Colby Gail (Topsham, Maine) finished second in the high jump, at 5-1.75, while junior Ansley Flanagan (Roxbury, Conn.) came in third at 4-11.75.
- Junior Amanda Solch (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) placed second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, in 11:52.79.
- Sophomore Angeleque Hartt (Bronx, N.Y.) finished third in the 100-meter dash, in 13.08 seconds.
- Senior Lizzie Carleton (Westborough, Mass.) took third place in the 200 meters, in 26.74.
- Senior Taylor Piers (Falmouth, Maine) placed third in the long jump at 16-3.25, as well as third in the triple jump (33-8.5).
- Bates also ran a strong third place in the 4x100 relay, with junior Kristen Poulin (Freeport, Maine), Flanagan, junior Erin Augulewicz (Eliot, Maine) and Carleton finishing in 50.31 seconds, 0.39 seconds behind runner-up Maine.
The Bobcats travel to Fitchburg State next Saturday for the Jim Sheehan Memorial meet (11am).