GORHAM, Maine -- The Bates women's track and field team sent a partial squad to the USM Invitational on Saturday at the University of Southern Maine, claiming first place in two events and finishing third among 11 teams.
Bates scored 144 points, trailing USM (178) and Colby (171) for third. Smith College was fourth with 53.
First-year Mary Krathwohl (Ipswich, Mass.) won the triple jump competition with a long attempt of 33-9.25. She was also sixth in the long jump (15-4).
Sophomore Colby Gail (Topsham, Maine) won the weight throw competition with a top effort of 47-1.5, more than two feet ahead of runner-up Jennifer Durham of USM. Gail was also sixth in the shot put (31-3.25).
Other top-three and notable performances included:
- First-years Melanie Ehrenberg (Rumson, N.J.) and Nicole Cueli (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) took second and third, respectively, in the pole vault at 10-0.75 and 9-1.
- Out of a field of 44, junior Angeleque Hartt (Bronx, N.Y.) had the fourth-fastest prelim time in the 55-meter dash (7.73). Hartt then ran a 7.64 in the finals to place third.
- First-year Elena Schroeder (Clinton, Conn.) placed third in the 600 meters in 1:43.66, while senior teammate Kathryn DeAngelis (Lewiston, Maine) was fourth at 1:45.89. DeAngelis later placed third in the high jump, at 4-9.75, and sixth in the 55-meter hurdles, at 9.49 seconds.
- First-year Isabelle Unger (Charlotte, Vt.) finished third in the 1,000 meters, in 3:09.21.
- Junior Devin Tatro (Haverhill, Mass.) placed third in the mile at 5:23.62. Sweeping the next three places in the race were senior Lindsay Cullen (Newburyport, Mass.) in fourth at 5:25.52, juniro Mira Carey-Hatch (Laconia, N.H.) in fifth at 5:26.02 and junior Tara Notarianni (Johnston, R.I.) in sixth at 5:28.27.
- Sophomore Alyssa Morgosh (Carlsbad, Calif.) placed third in the shot put, at 32-10.5.
- Junior Jenny Snyder (Scarborough, Maine) finished fourth in the triple jump (32-7.5) and seventh in the 55 hurdles (9.53).
Bates competes at the Maine State Women's Indoor Championships at Bowdoin on Friday, Feb. 1 at 6pm.