MEDFORD, Mass. -- Bates sophomore Colby Gail won the high jump and set the team record in the process, as the Bates women's track and field team took seventh place among 11 teams at the NESCAC Championships on Saturday at Tufts.
Bates scored 58 points, 13 ahead of eighth-place Amherst and 13 behind sixth-place Wesleyan. Tufts won with 203 points.
Missing three-time NCAA Championship participant Bud Arens to injury, other Bobcats stepped up to score, led by Gail's (Topsham, Maine) win and two second-place finishes by junior Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.).
Gail was the only athlete to clear the bar at 5 feet and 5 inches, claiming the conference championship in the event and replacing Anya Belanger's former Bates record of 5-2.5, set in 2002. Four athletes trailed Gail at 5-3.
Nixon impressively pulled off double runner-up finishes in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, with a time of 11:08.76, and in the 800 meters, at 2:16.14.
Other scoring performances by the Bobcats included:
- Bates tied the team record and took fourth place in the 4x100 relay, with sophomore Quincy Snellings (Lexington, Mass.), junior Angeleque Hartt (Bronx, N.Y.), senior Ansley Flanagan (Roxbury, Conn.) and Dickinson finishing in 49.31 seconds, tying the school record set last year by Erin Augulewicz '13, Hartt, Flanagan and Lizzie Carleton '12.
- Senior Lindsay Cullen (Newburyport, Mass.) and junior Mira Carey-Hatch (Laconia, N.H.) placed fifth and eighth in the 10,000 meters, respectively, at 37:43.48 and 38:09.35.
- First-year Kelly Philbrook (Auburn, Maine) placed fifth in the javelin throw, at 109-4, moving into fifth place on Bates' all-time performance list. First-year Allison Lin (Carlisle, Mass.) placed seventh in 94-8.
- First-year Melanie Ehrenberg (Rumson, N.J.) placed sixth in the pole vault, at 10-0.
- First-year Isabelle Unger (Charlotte, Vt.) placed sixth in the steeplechase, in 11:40.48.
- Sophomore Sarah Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) placed seventh in the 800 meters, at 2:18.04.
- First-year Alexis Dickinson (Brunswick, Maine) placed eighth in the 100 meters (12.74).
- Sophomore Alyssa Morgosh (Carlsbad, Calif.) placed eighth in the shot put (35-7.25).
- The Bobcats were also fifth in the 4x800 relay (9:37.21) and seventh in the 4x400 relay (4:05.96).
Bates travels to Colby next weekend for the New England Division III Outdoor Track & Field Championships.