ORONO, Maine -- The Bates women's track and field team opened the outdoor season on Saturday with an impressive effort in a tri-meet against Division I opponents Maine and New Hampshire. The host Black Bears won the team scoring with 147 points, followed by New Hampshire with 136 and Bates with 112.
Junior Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) had two of Bates' three event wins on the day, finishing first in the 1,500 meters in a time of 4:45.69, and going on to cross the finish line first in the 800 as well, in 2:17.87, followed by five Black Bears in a row. Bates first-year Mary Krathwohl (Ipswich, Mass.) won the triple jump at 34-6.75.
Other top-three event finishes for the Bobcats included:
- Senior captain Ansley Flanagan (Roxbury, Conn.) placed second in the 200-meter dash, in 26.89 seconds, after finishing third in the high jump, at 5-1.0.
- Junior Jenny Snyder (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) placed second behind Krathwohl in the triple jump, at 33-2.
- Sophomore Amelia Oliver (Potomac, Md.) came in second in the 400-meter dash (1:03.37).
- Sophomore Alyssa Morgosh (Carlsbad, Calif.) placed third in the shot put (34-1.25).
- Sophomore Sarah Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) finished third in the 1,500, at 4:54.91.
- First-year Alexis Dickinson (Brunswick, Maine) took third place in the 100 meters, at 12.91 seconds. She was also fourth in the 200 (27.18).
- Senior Nora Hanagan (Singapore) and first-year Elena Schroeder (Clinton, Conn.) were second and third, respectively, in the 400 hurdles among four competitors, at 1:09.79 and 1:10.34.
- Bates ran a second-place 4x400 relay race in 4:09.60, with legs run by Ehrenberg, Fusco, Hanagan and Oliver.
Bates competes in a large meet at Fitchburg State next Saturday, April 6 at 11am.