MEDFORD, Mass. -- The Bates women's indoor track and field team opened the 2013 season with a solid third-place finish among 11 teams at the Tufts Invitational on Saturday, winning five events along the way.
Bates scored 126 points, trailing only Division II UMass-Lowell (170.5) and host Tufts (167.5), and coming in well ahead of Worcester State (81), Keene State (52), Amherst (50) and five other teams.
Sophomore Sarah Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 800-meter run, dominating the field of 27 runners in 2:21.83, 0.74 seconds ahead of the runner-up, Tufts' Lauren Gormer. Bates junior Kallie Nixon (Medfield, Mass.) took fifth place in 2:31.50.
Junior Amanda Solch (Mountain Lakes, N.J.) won the mile out of a field of 40 in a time of 5:22.03, 0.23 seconds ahead of the next collegian, Kait Wheeler of Keene State. Junior Mira Carey-Hatch (Laconia, N.H.) placed fourth in 5:24.14.
Two other key members of Bates' stellar cross country team, senior Lindsay Cullen (Newburyport, Mass.) and first-year Hannah Zeltner (Bedford, N.H.), were the top two collegians in the 3,000 meters, at 10:32.35 and 10:51.42, respectively.
Senior Bud Arens (Weymouth, Mass.) placed second among collegiate runners and first among Division III runners in the 1,000 meters, with a time of 3:03.12. Bentley's Caitlin Fahey won in 2:59.11.
Junior Devin Tatro (Haverhill, Mass.) was first among four runners in the 5,000 meters, in 19:10.30.
Other Bates highlights:
- First-year Melanie Ehrenberg (Rumson, N.J.) placed second in the pole vault, in 2.90 meters.
- Sophomore Colby Gail (Topsham, Maine) took fourth place in the weight throw, in 13.20 meters.
- Sophomore Amelia Oliver (Potomac, Md.) placed sixth out of 15 women in the 400, with a time of 1:04.53.
- First-year Mary Krathwohl (Ipswich, Mass.) was sixth in the triple jump, at 10.14 meters.
- First-year Isabel Ferguson (Bainbridge Island, Wash) placed seventh in the high jump, in 1.52 meters.
- Sophomore Meaghan Crowley (Cumberland, Maine) was seventh in the long jump at 4.61 meters.
- First-year Alexis Dickinson (Brunswick, Maine) finished eighth among 65 sprinters in the 200-meter dash, with a time of 27.68 seconds.
- Bates fared well in the relays, including a win in the 4x800, where Nixon, Solch, first-year Isabelle Unger (Charlotte, Vt.) and senior Lisa Reedich (Harvard, Mass.) finished in 10:10.05.
- In the 4x200 relay, Dickinson, sophomore Quincy Snellings (Lexington, Mass.), junior Caroline O'Sullivan (Andover, Mass.) and senior Ansley Flanagan (Roxbury, Conn.) were third in 1:53.05.
- The 4x400 relay team of Fusco, Arens, Oliver and Ehrenberg was second by 0.34 seconds, and well ahead of the remainder of the field, in 4:10.05.
Bates has the Bates Pentathlon on Friday at 3pm, followed by the Bates Invitational on Saturday at 12pm in Merrill Gym.