DURHAM, N.H. -- The Bates women's track and field team won five events and placed third only to Division I New Hampshire and Maine on Saturday at the UNH Wildcat Invitational.
The Bobcats also enjoyed a highlight Friday night at Connecticut College's Silfen Invitational, where senior Jessica Wilson (Cumberland, Maine) shattered the team record in the 5,000-meter run. Wilson topped a field of 55 runners with her time of 16:57.09, which puts her at No. 1 in all of Division III for the moment. Wilson's time shatters the former team record of 17:26.66, set last year by junior Katherine Cook (South Burlington, Vt.). She had previously ranked 10th on the team's all-time performance list in the event. (Silfen Results)
At the Wildcat Invitational, Bates scored 140.5 team points, trailing host New Hampshire (199.5) and Maine (189) while outpacing Merrimack (79).
Top-five event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Senior Allison Hill (Brunswick, Maine) took first place in the 200-meter dash (25.62 seconds), led off Bates' winning 4x400 relay team (48.15) and placed second in the 100-meter hurdles to Maine's Grace MacLean in a time of 14.50 seconds. Hill also ran a leg of Bates' second-place 4x100 relay team (48.15).
- Sophomore Katie Barker (Burlington, Vt.) and senior Sadie James (Avon, Maine) finished first and second, respectively, in the 3,000-meter run, at 10:20.11 and 10:24.44).
- Sophomore Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.) won the 1,500-meter run in a time of 4:44.98.
- Junior Sally Ceesay (Bronx, N.Y.) won the triple jump with a top effort of 37-8.75.
- Junior Srishti Sunil (Bangalore, India) placed second in the long jump (17-5.25) and fifth in the triple jump (35-5.25).
- Senior Ashley Pollack (Port Washington, N.Y.) placed second in the 800-meter run (2:26.21), while junior Julia Nemy (San Francisco, Calif.) placed third (2:27.03).
- Sophomore Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.) placed fourth in the 1,500 meters (4:52.21).
- Sophomore Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) placed second in the shot put (37-0.5), as well as fifth in both the discus (112-2) and hammer (130-9).
- Sophomore Shelby Burns (Uniontown, Pa.) took fifth place in the high jump (5-1).
- Bates won the 4x400 relay race, with senior Claire Markonic (Millerton, N.Y.) passing her Maine counterpart with 200 meters to go and crossing the finish line in 4:01.18. She was preceded in the race by Hill, Eickhoff and first-year Hannah Tower (Manchester, Mass.).
- Bates' 4x100 relay team of Ceesay, Hill, Sunil and Markonic placed second to Maine in 48.15 seconds.
Bates will compete next weekend at the Aloha Relays at Bowdoin, with the heptathlon beginning Friday at 4pm and the rest of the meet starting Saturday at 11am.